Sunday, May 1, 2011

A Generation’s Gap

Each generation has always found it difficult to convince their previous generation why they do what they do. In the last 2 -3 decades the way things have transformed in India has only added to this complication. One of the things that have been a challenge for our generation is telling people what we do for a living. Here are a couple of instances I’ve come across or know of…


I recently met one of my relatives who was curious to know what I did for a living, and here’s how it went…..

Relative: So where do you work you said?
Vimal: I work for Tesco
Relative: Oh, is it a Tata Company?
Vimal: Well no, it is a common misconception, Tesco is actually an MNC in itself, but in a way you are right we do have tie up with the Tatas in India.
Relative: So what do you do in Telco?
Vimal: Well its not Telco, its Tesco. I work in the Project Management Office, we manage…
Relative: Aiyaiyooo I am asking where you work and what you do and you are telling something something and all…. Do you really work some where or you are just fooling around.
Vimal: Ok, I work for Tesco which is the world’s third largest retailer.
Relative: What is that?
Vimal: It’s a UK based retailer, we sell a wide range of products, like all under one roof types. Something like Big Ba…
Relative: I am not understanding anything you are saying. Hehehehe…. I think you are trying to hide something.
Vimal: Ok, fine. Let me tell you the truth I work for a Provision store.
Relative: Ah-ha…. No wonder I see you in shorts most of the time.


I started my work life at a call centre at the entry level. I have a friend called Vidhya who also started off at the same call centre probably about 3 – 4 months before I did. She is from Ooty and moved to Bangalore when she got the job at this call centre. After she kind of settled down in Bangalore she went back to her home town on a short vacation. One of the many people who asked her what she did in Bangalore was her granny, and this is how the conversation went....
Granny: So where do you work in Bangalore?
Vidhya: I work for this company called MsourcE, its a call center.
Granny: Call Center? What is a call center?
Vidhya: Basically people n America call us asking for some information about their account and we provide information. 
Granny: Oh ok. Understood.

A little later some more relatives came over to Vidhya's granny's place.
Relatives: We heard you got a job in Bangalore?
Vidhya: Yes.
Relatives: Very good, what do you do?
Granny: Some Americans have a telephone booth in Bangalore and she works there!
Relatives: Oh. Ok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment