Saturday, June 5, 2010

Quitting a Job

After serving for 7 years and 8 months in an organisation, I quit my job. I did not have any idea on how to draft my farewell mail, like everyone I looked at the other farewell mails I received and even searched on Google. It was of no use.

Then I thought may be I should look for a suitable line from one of my favourite movies and then draft a note around it. I logged on to imdb.com to look for movie Quotes. I first looked at Ocean's Eleven, Twelve & Thirteen, didn't find anything. And then I checked out Spiderman 1, 2 & 3 still din't find anything. I almost gave up on the movie line thing and that is when I remembered Captain Jack Sparrow! I knew there will be some dialogue of his that will suit my requirement. And I found one. Plus my friend Leeni sent me some lines I could use on my farewell mail. Here is the farewell mail I sent out...

____________________________________________________________________________

Subject Line: Elvis has left the Building ! ! !

Dear All,


“You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist”
                                                  - Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.

And the day has arrived. I quit and today will be my last day in MphasiS; I’m abandoning this ship to dive into the BIG BLUE Ocean to explore stranger tides.

I would like to thank each one of you, who stood by me, inspired me and supported me throughout my association with MphasiS, without which I wouldn’t have reached this far.
I would also like to thank the people that I worked with, who made my career here exciting and challenging.

It’s been a pleasure working with you all, I wish you all the very best in everything that you do and do keep in touch. You can find me on the World Wilde Web, specifically on Face Book and Linked In.

Every goodbye makes the next hello closer.

Cheers!
V
My E-Mail Address: vcygnus@gmail.com
My Blog: http://vipages.blogspot.com

Note: Caution has been taken to ensure regular phrases like mixed feelings, roller coaster ride, wonderful learning experience, etc are not used.
____________________________________________________________________________

Until I sent this mail out everything appeared to be fine only when I got off my desk and started meeting people to say Good Bye did I realise that it is not that easy to bid farewell to the people and the place where you've spent close to 8 years. Here I'm not talking about the difficulty that is a result of an emotional connection but the number of people that one had to speak to in one day. One day wasn't enough. I didn't feel bad about leaving that place or the people because in the world of twitters and facebook keeping in touch is really not a big challenge.

All the people I met wished me luck, a couple of them tried to convince me that I've made a hasty decision, couple of them gave me gifts, some of them expressed disappointment, a lot of them spoke about my farewell mail stating it was indeed a good one, some of them also read my blog and came back with comments and praises, some of them even caught the hidden message on my e-mail which indicates where I'm going next (IBM - the BIG BLUE). So overall it was really nice to meet most of the people I've worked with and they all have left some good memories in me. So its been a long innings and now I have a lot more friends...

Goodbye MphasiS and Hello IBM!

1 comment: